Wednesday 10 June 2020

Wednesday 10 June

Today two things happened that reminded me of something very important. A thing so foundational and so lacking in 'sex appeal' that it often goes unnoticed.

My daughter posted on her Instagram three things she has learned from lockdown. One of them read:

"Routine, routine, routine: having good daily rhythms is so powerful. 
It has transformed the way I go through my day. I prioritise all the right things."

This has been so true for her. She's been the one person in the house who has been completely between things during lockdown. She had nothing - apart from family routines - that was expected of her over these weeks of staying home. And she has had to create her own expectations of herself, which she categorised as movement, healthy eating, work, and play.

[Photo by Dani Rendina on Unsplash]

In the evening, I went to the Malaga port to collect a friend and team member arriving on the ferry from Morocco. Three days before Spain closed her borders, she had entered Morocco with a couple of visitors, who wanted to make a quick visit as part of their vacation. It ended up being a whole drama, with the visitors finally making it back to their home country some days later and my friend obliged to ride out the lockdown from there.

As we caught up briefly before I left her at her apartment for 14 days of quarantine, she mentioned that her self-imposed routine had kept her sane. Just like Keziah, she had created for herself rhythms of movement, healthy eating, work (study), and play. By adhering to these rhythms, she created for herself a container for those strange days of being confined in someone else's home, in a foreign country, for an undetermined amount of time.

[Photo by Nils Stahl on Unsplash]

I can identify. My day starts with reading, journalling and prayer, followed by a workout or a run. (I see life with God as absolutely connected to the way I live in my body. You can read more about why on my website.) The way I start my morning is fundamentally connected to how I go about the rest of my day. 

How about you? Do you identify with this need for a good routine? To what extent have you experienced that differently during lockdown? What does your daily and weekly routine look like? What are the most important elements of your rhythm of life that sustain you?





No comments:

Post a Comment