Friday 22 May 2020

Friday 22 May

Day 68 of lockdown. Today we were able to begin the de-escalation of Zoom meetings!

In the morning, I was due to meet with someone for a regular time of spiritual direction. While I meet with people all over the world, this particular woman lives in Malaga and so is one of the few I usually meet with in person. Over the past couple of months we have, needless to say, been connecting via video chat.

As I've said in other places, video chat for spiritual direction is 100% workable - in spite of the obvious limitations in terms of reading body language, I have been surprised how 'at ease' those sessions can feel and I come to appreciate the sense of proximity and heart connection that can take place online. Having said that, I would always choose to be with each and every person in the same room, if I could!

So, today was the first day when this monthly connection could take place face to face. And that feels like a milestone and something to celebrate! Who else is finding that it feels both 'normal' and momentous to be able to actually see people in real life?!


In addition, after all these weeks of keeping our Sabbath traditions by meeting online, we were able to physically gather with our Friday evening community. This anchor point to the week carries great significance for all of us, and has become a place of connection, celebration, vulnerability (and, let's face it, familial chaos!). While I feel like we all did well to embrace the challenge of continued connection within the limitations of lockdown, it was so good to be together in our bodies!

Of course, there are still limitations to the ways we can interact. We chose to stay outside, to have households sitting together but at a distance from the others, and so on. But you know, it was still sweet to see real flesh and blood friends ... the hugs will have to come later ;-)

It's the end of another week, and together we are all continuing to move steadily forward into a future that can feel uncertain at times. I'm finding that these relational rhythms hold and steady us, and for that I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment