Tuesday 13 February 2018

Top 5 Titles for Today

You know you've read a good book when you find yourself recommending it to several friends, right? I tend to have a few titles on my bedside table at once - a book for every mood, you know? This morning, I thought I would share with you those recently read books that I keep returning to.

1. A book about the Spiritual Journey



















This is a great book if you want a clear perspective on what life as a follower of Jesus (or indeed, as a human) is all about. It's straightforward and clear, and the second section takes you through a number of practices to help you grow. Plus, anything endorsed by Ruth Haley Barton gets my vote - I am listening to her podcasts at the moment, and there are always at least of couple of mic drop moments in there for me.

2. A book about Failing



















If you find yourself in the middle of a difficult season of life, one you wonder if you will ever exit from in one piece, this is the book for you. It can be a little dense, but Rohr shares some invaluable lessons about the meaning - and indeed the necessity - of coming to the end of our own resources. There is life after failure, crisis, bereavement, wilderness. And if you surrender to the process, you might just find it!

3. A book about Desire



















I cannot remember how many times I have recommended this book! It makes sense of why my life is the way it is, of what I can do to invite change, and of how the things I do on a regular basis form and shape my life. If you want to toss out the endless need to drum up motivation to do the 'right' thing, by finding ways to nurture good desires, this is the book for you. For a sneak preview, search for the title on You Tube which has a bunch of great videos by the author.

4. A book of Poems



















I know not everyone considers herself a poet, or even reads poetry. But this anthology is a treasure trove of beautiful words that speak to the human journey. I have used these poems to open teaching times, as meditations, and as inspiration. If you want to take a peek into the world of poetry, this would be a great place to start!

5. A Novel



















This title is probably more familiar to you and it is well worth the rave reviews. Beautiful, lyrical and a great story. If your stack of bedside reading doesn't contain a novel, add this to your list.

Happy reading, friends! And I am always on the lookout for great books, so feel free to comment with your own fave reads of the moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment